Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Sink or Swim?

A lot of firsts going on...first time to lecture today (ever) let alone to a college course, that has never been taught before, in a different country, different culture, for a profession that is in high demand, yet does not have the means to meet such a need.  So did I sink or swim?  Well, I floated.
I think the college course went ok today.  The energy in the room was pretty low--i m hoping b/c they were getting their 3rd syllabus of the day and they were hungry for lunch.  Plus i dont necessarily remember jumping up and down during my college courses either.
I took a huge risk in asking them what they thought about counseling, why they signed up for the course, and what they wanted out of the course.   Seems that there is an universal view here in Africa, that if you are in college then you know everything...therefore you must have all the good advice.  So, many of these students saw this class being offered and said "Ah! We may have the knowledge, but we have no idea how to use it!"  They all agreed upon inquiry that there is alot of pressure to counsel and advise correctly excluding passion and potential healing through mere relationship.  I hope to show them that yes, the 'right' information is important, but since we dont know everything, the act and relational aspect of counseling is what is and can be healing...b/c that is what we are made for--relationships!  Really exciting...
So I have the first day under my belt.
Thanks for the many prayers! I receive word of all who have inquired of what is going here.  It's comforting to know of this from thousands of miles away!  Hope all is well. Let me hear from you!

No comments: