Sunday, November 2, 2008

sunshine and rainbows...

I havent mentioned the heat yet for several reasons...probably b/c in some small way I subconsciously think that if I dont talk about it, it will just miraculously go away.  Denial has worked before....at least for a short while.  However, seeming as it s November and I am officially tanner than I was in the 'heat' of the summer in MS, I figure it s time to pay homage to the current temperature in Malawi.  
It's hot.  And I grew up in the south.  It's a different heat here.  The sun is powerful, which makes for some interesting situations for this fair skinned brunette.  It's so hot you begin to wonder if taking a shower really accomplishes anything, you sweat more than you sleep, you wear more clothing in one day than you thought possible, and there is no such thing as getting two 'wears' out of a shirt here.  Everything is washed after one 'wearing.'
My good friend, Mike, said the other day "Harper, last time we chatted, i learned to be thankful for non-bleached fruit.  What can i be thankful for today?"  I said "The power in Lilongwe goes out every Tuesday night at 6 pm."  To which he replied, "Ah, no AC all night long.  Not to mention lights...Ok, I can be thankful for that."  I chuckled to myself and said "Oh no Mike..there is no AC in Malawi.  But yes, you can be thankful for lights."
But alas...after much talk (and complaining) about the heat...there is a respite on the way.  Rain season.  Yesterday, we got a brief preview of just how wonderful it is.  A discussion today at lunch made me realize something that I had noticed but not actually 'put together' in my mind yet.  The love for rain here is different than anywhere else I ve ever been.  (Probably b/c i grew up in the south where it rains all the time...thus not promoting much of a 'thankful' spirit for the weather).  However here...the rain brings greenery, grass, cooler temperature, crops, flowers, softer ground (to play Ultimate), serenity, great napping atmosphere, and most prominently as exemplified yesterday...rainbows.  Wow....the most 'neon', if i can describe a rainbow like that...colorful--complete ROYGBIV, rainbow i ve ever seen.  It was a double, with the second being faintly present behind the main.  It was gorgeous.  The sound of the raindrops on our tin roof were heavenly.  I was already asleep and awoke to the sight, smell, sound, and almost taste of rain.  It was grand.  
I kind of feel like my friend Carrie who said "what are we 69? We re talking about the weather??"....no..it s just that when you live in Africa it's hard not to talk about it!
Here's to more sunshine and rainbows...

No comments: