Monday, September 29, 2008

all in a day's work...

The joys of teaching...while living in Africa...

"Today was frustrating..."
"Oh so it had alot in common with the past 30 days."

"how do you know if you are not supposed to eat something here?"
"If in about an hour you throw up."

"Teacha, I need to WEEEEE!"

A little 4 yo said to her mom on the first day of Swimming...
"momma, do I wear my bathing suit to school?"
"No, you will put it on there."
"But, momma, I cant go to school NAKED!!"

In the middle of computer class...a kid (1st grade) raises his hand (which is an accomplishment in and of itself)..I walk over..."Yes, matthew?" to which he bluntly says "I cant sleep at night."
To which I internally chuckle at the randomness of such a comment during the middle of computer class, however the overly analytical therapist part of me wonders why he cant sleep...and why he would tell me of all people!  Does he announce this to every teacher?

At another point in the middle of the same computer class....a 6 yo little girl too cute to tell to be quiet (although she needs to be...), calls me over "Teacha, Ms. 'Harpa'!"  
"Yes..."  
"you have on a pretty pink skirt."
Very observant..."Thank you, emily.  Now type your letter O."
5 minutes later..."Teacha, Ms. 'Harpa'!"
"Yes, Emily..."
"You have purple on your eye lids...it s pretty."
"Thank you, Emily."
And she continues to type with great pride at her recent observations.

"Class, what are a few rules for the computer room?"
"BE KIND!"
"Don't BITE!"
I m thinking...oh my...what have i gotten myself into.  Scary that that is within the top 5 rules...

"Computers turn on and off...can anyone think of a few more things that turn on and off?"
One adorable 6 yo raises her hand proudly..."My mommy has an exercise bike that she rides every night so that she wont get really fat while she's pregnant."
"Well...that is just great.  OK...anyone else?"


2 comments:

Our Big Adventure!! said...

hahahaha!! That is too funny! I must say your days never get old! You must never get board!! EVER!! LOL!! Thanks for the cute stories ;) They always bring a smile on my face at work.
Love you, Laura

Emily said...

Hilarious...... so glad you are writing those quotes down!