Friday, September 19, 2008

just another manic monday through friday

just want to give you a taste of what my week looked like...several things--
first i have gotten the inevitable cold/sinus infection that one gets when consistently around 300 students.  i am blessed to have all the academy students come through my room...they all use the same mouse on the computers so germs are a free for all in our room.  it's great.  good thing there is a fan in there so the germs can spread around a bit...seriously i am GLAD there is a fan...no circulation in that room otherwise.
anyway...so amidst the sickness it's 8 pm on tuesday and rachel and i have just mosey-ed on up to a friends house here on campus to get their corn chowder recipe...only to interrupt their family devotional time.  not awkward at all.  grand...just grand. we get the recipe and are leaving.
well i have been to this house many times and know full well the...obstacles in visiting such a residence.  You see...all over campus, primarily there in front on this house (bless their hearts) they are channeling a four-foot man made/man dug ditch.  yes it is a ditch...about 1 1/2 foot wide and 4 feet deep...all to improve the water system on campus.  one would think...no problem at all.
the next thing i know is that i have just inhaled/snorted up a nose full of water from my now empty nalgene bottle; i cant see a thing b/c my glasses are somewhere on my forehead, and i am up to my thighs in a dirt graven ditch.
Meanwhile I 'feel' Rachel standing above me...trying sympathetically NOT to laugh..while simultaneously attempting to ask me if I am somehow ok.  To which I respond..."What just happened?"
So i gather myself and attempt to walk away...happy to know that my leg is still in one piece.  As we walk away, I again ask "How did that happen?"  Rachel says, "I m not sure but let me know when you are ready to laugh about it."
I then begin hysterically laughing while crying really hard...just out of frustration of stupidity.  Rachel continues down the road bent over laughing so hard I think she just might pee in her pants.  But then she later complains that I am walking too slowly and that she would prefer us just not to ling.  I calmly apologize for my laziness by saying "Oh i m sorry if i m moving a bit too slowly...i only just fell into a 4 foot ditch."

Wednesday provided a fairly sore knee and some bruises which brought about some resemblance of Rachel's students and their skinned up 4 yo little knees...

The stuffy nose prevailed accompanied by a raspy voice from talking so much in computer and lecturing at the college.
Thursday night rolls around...it's late...really late..finishing up a chat online with mom and out of the corner of my eye I see this HUGE and i mean creepy crawly huge roach.  i m talking like the size of my thumb.  it's over above Rachel's bed crawling on the window curtain.  I m tucked away underneath my mosquito net and it's 'out there.'  But that would just be cruel not to do anything about it.  so i get up (out of the waterbed mind you...which is not exactly an easy feat) and attempt to kill this thing, however, it s disappeared somewhere into the curtain.  I looked long and hard for it but could not find it...assuming it went out the window.  
so mom and i are finishing our conversation..i m realizing just how late it really is.  i asked her several times and commented several times that i thought it had gone, surely!?  I have said "bye", and something catches the corner of my eye.  Not only was the roach above me, but it was INSIDE the mosquito net just hanging there.  So I spent way too much time strategizing about how I might kill this thing without A. dropping it onto my bed in which I was about to sleep and B. squashing it on my sheets.  Needless to say, I killed that sucker...gross.  I cant help but think of Marley Evans' anacronym...TIA...This is Africa.  I know that seemed to be a bit too much blog time to give to a roach story...but this thing was huge.  
so there you have it all--the weekend has provided to be very fun with lots of entertaining going on...i will write when I can!

3 comments:

Our Big Adventure!! said...

Well I must say :) you have entertained me with your story's!! I was laughing here at my desk. You poor thing falling into a ditch! Is it like a mote around there home?! LOL!! And the roach thing :) you should go to Tampa FL. they are huge there and have wings!! LOL!! Not fun at all. I am proud that you killed it! they are gross!! Miss you here. Hang in there. We will see you soon!! :)

em g ferguson said...

stop it!!
i somehow missed this post and the one before it. ususally it tells me when you update it. i thought it had been a while since i had heard from my sweet harper!
ummm...i think rachel's question of when you would be able to laugh about it is probably the point when i started laughing out loud at this post!
these are totally things that would happen to the two of us...you do realize.
i love you so much sweet harper!!!
em g

Brink said...

Harper,
So sorry about the fall and the roach. I HATE roaches with a passion and feel certain that I would have panicked if I had seen yours. Always a joy to read your updates, but it does make me miss you!!