Saturday, September 13, 2008

One Month

well...i am way overdue!  There is much to process and write about...it's all circling around in my head somewhere.  Hopefully, I will post it all soon..if not I am writing it down somewhere so as not to forget.
so we have officially been here a month.  I dont know whether to be encouraged by this or to find it hard to believe!  I see how with times various things begin to be normal.  For instance, I listen for the rooster to wake me up in the morning and ironically find comfort in the random bird clock, which subsequently produces a different chirp on every hour.  (....we inherited it from the house owner).
i will readily admit that i have experienced and continue to experience all and any of the elements of culture shock.  it is the culture shock of everything, mainly of transition:  missing friends and family and the comforts of a 'known' land.  However, I have seen how with time, things I thought could not become familiar (the mosque call to worship) somehow have.  so..i can only think that others things will continue to become as familiar.

teaching is in full swing...wow what a job.  very long days here.  teachers are servants--i can say that b/c i am not one by trade.

rachel and i have now officially been to the market twice.  whew!  once together--today.  we went to look at fabrics to make our house homey-er and then to get some veggies.  Wow...do i miss photography.  I wanted to capture pictures of the vegetables and the whole market in general.  Rows and rows, baskets and baskets of fruit, veggies, beens, greens, etc.  Very neat...So many people...So many.  Driving down a road and people are walking all in the street.  it's jsut amazing.  There are definite moments where I just stop and think "how did I get here?...yet realizing how rare and special it is at the same time."  
 
This next week should be exciting and encouraging--I see my first client! yay!  I am trying to finalize an actual room to set up shop in our medical Clinic here on campus.  That will hopefully provide the needed privacy and confidentiality.  It's a work in progress, but I will be glad to be able to counsel some.

I have loved hearing from everyone! Thanks for saying hello...it is definitely encouraging and welcomed!
Here is a favorite picture...
"Lost little boy"

more to come for sure...
caroline 

  

No comments: