Monday, September 15, 2008

Random thoughts

 Some thoughts, events, or just general comments about the past few weeks....
--I never mentioned the random chicken that walked into the room in the middle of one of our meetings.  Whomever was speaking at the time (definitely someone who had been here longer than my 3 day longevity) didnt even flinch.  Another slightly more orientated person than myself casually walked over, picked him up, walked him out and the meeting continued as if this was an everyday occurance.  (I just uploaded some pictures and came across "the" chicken...so had to pay tribute to him.)
--Moments of reminding myself:  "I'm in Africa"...Rachel and I returning to our local market and being greeted by our friends who sold us two very cool paintings the week before.   I not only learned how to say my name in Chichewa (but have now forgotten)..but learned some other interesting names:  James Bond and Fantastique.  Seriously.  Then as we were leaving they called out to Rachel to come join in the dancing...so we did.  We are to return next week as well.
--The MOON--wow.  Late night walks in the total dark along the main road on campus.  Ipod in hand...FULL moon out.  Cool weather here the past few nights...so I have had several of these walks.  However, I cant look at the huge moon and bright stars and not think of my dear friend Paul.  I wish I could tell him about this adventure in Africa.  I really miss him.
--Some things never change...Rachel and I frequently Ichat from room to room in our house.  Never know what news might come up that is so pressing that one cannot walk to the next room. 
--Realizing that mom's year will be spent Ichating with her two daughters in Africa...i just picture mom sitting at the kitchen island with her little glass of Diet Coke typing away with us over here!  Always there whenever we need her...
--the compliment of being called "one of the twins" on campus.
--Fun moments of kids saying to Rachel "You taught me computer this morning!" when in reality it was her "twin" sister, "the other Ms. Harper!"
--Tears...lots and lots of tears...I havent cried this much in the past two years combined--and i ve only been here one month.  figure that one.  so my sweet friend, Laura Pegg, helped me understand why and how I am able to cry so much....she said that i have just been storing up for the past 2 years and it s all coming out now.  if only i had known...

So there is the good and the bad.  Hard transitions...big callings....big lessons to learn.  I'm glad I am not in control of all that this year will bring...

2 comments:

Brink said...

Hi Harper!! Forgive me for not checking in more regularly. Much love to you!!

Our Big Adventure!! said...

Tears are good and healing while you grow :) Keep it up!! I have been doing that alot lately as well so your not alone in that one :) Just think 2 1/2 months and you will be home!! YAY!! I am sure your mom is so happy to be writing you and keeping in touch with her girls :) I know she misses you too... Hang in there and know that the more God Stretches you the better... god is doing mighty things threw you. you might not see it now but it is happening :)
Much love, Laura